Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Revelations of Matthew 14: 22-33: Keeping your eyes on Christ

This is the third message that the Holy Spirit has led me to discover in this passage. Leading up to this post, I learned this week that I am not skilled to understand God’s will or plan. My flesh will not allow me to go beyond what my brain can comprehend. The Lord revealed this to me through daily words from my pastor and friends. I know that I have written about this before but the Lord has to continue to remind me that I do not dictate what He is going to do in my life.
Towards the end of this message Peter is now walking on water and heading towards Jesus. In verse 30, as he is walking towards his Savior, he started to pay attention to the wind that was gushing around him. “But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink -”(KJV). Because of all the distractions and horrible conditions, Peter becomes afraid and started to sink. He cries out for the Lord to save him and Jesus immediately picks him back up. Jesus than says to Peter in verse 31 “Oh you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Peter started to drown into the sea because he lost focus. Instead of having that faith he had when he stepped out of the boat, he let his circumstances get the best of him. He should have kept his eyes on the Lord and not be concern about his surroundings. We Christians are guilty of doing the same thing. When God gives you a word, promise, blessing or direction; you must hold on to that no matter what. God told us He would never leave us nor forsake us. So if fear or doubt starts to cross your mind, than you are calling God a lair. And we know that God is not like man that He should lie.
Speaking to my friends about our current situations and receiving a word from them really encouraged me. One of my friends received a word from the Lord that her family will receive salvation. Even though things look grim and are getting worse, she is still holding on to the promise. She is not going to question God why it has not happened yet or when. She is going to keep her eyes on Christ and continue to trust in His plan.
When she was talking to me, the Holy Spirit reminded me about Noah. Noah obeyed the word of God and built an ark to house his family and a pair of every land animal to protect them from the flood. He built this ark for over 100 years by faith. It had never rained on the earth before, people around him were calling him crazy but Noah trusted in God’s plan. He stayed focused and completed his task. This is the type of faith, I am praying for. It's that spiritual faith that is passed human understanding. It is the faith that doesn’t care what is going on around you. If God is faithful and continue to give us mercy and grace than why can’t we praise him through our problems?
I pray that we all keep our eyes on Jesus and continue to trust Him through the storm.

No comments: